It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Cleaners

Post subject: Cleaners
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:35 am 

I have to say that I really enjoyed Cleaners, the six-episode TV series produced by Crackle, the streaming video arm of Sony, which is currently featured at the main Girls With Guns site, http://www.girlswithguns.org. Of course, I didn't actually watch it on TV; I used the link to go to YouTube, where each episode is posted without commercials. (I'm assuming these episodes were posted legitimately and not pirated, since YouTube is a pretty well-known and respectable venue!) The whole season follows a connected story arc, and makes a roughly two-hour movie if you watch them back to back. (I watched the first three here and there as a serial, and then watched the rest back to back because I couldn't stop!)

IMO, considering the whole season as a single work, the plotting is very good; it's been said, with justice, that coincidence is used fairly often (it plays a key role on about three occasions), but in the context, I didn't have a problem accepting it. The characterizations are developed really well, and the acting is flawless. The tone is gritty, and we're dealing with some very evil villains; but there's a solid underlying moral orientation here that I liked. There's plenty of action, but the human relationships of the characters are the strength of the series, and what makes it work as well as it does. The only major flaw is a lot of unnecessary bad language, but this wasn't a deal breaker. (I'd clean that aspect up if they'd hire me to do the novelization --they never will, of course, but it's one series I'd love to novelize!

Post subject: Re: Cleaners
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:27 pm 

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure HOW official the Youtube version is, but it seems to have stayed up long enough to suggest at least tacit approval [though, just to be sure, I've downloaded the video files for safe keeping!]. I tend to concur with much of what you said: we really liked the characters, on both sides of the playing-field, and the action was well-handled.

Season two is out in less than two weeks [August 19], so am certainly looking forward to that, and we'll have a review up ASAP. Here's the trailer for that:

Post subject: Re: Cleaners
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 pm 

I read the write-up for Season 2 at the Girls With Guns website just now. Personally, I was really disappointed by the direction in which they're taking Eileen's character --not just because it's in a bad direction, but because it's utterly out of character, and violates the internal logic of the plot of Season 1. (I was reminded of R. L. Stine's books and screenplays --though the genre is very different!-- in that he strains so hard for surprise endings that he often ends up bringing in a far-fetched development from left field that won't stand logical examination, and shreds any kind of consistent character development in the process.) That's especially problematic when, as is the case here, the interrelationships of the characters are a major strong point in the series' appeal, and when the new development taints the entire resolution of the plot achieved in Season 1. For my part, I think I'll skip the new season, and remember Eileen the way we left her. Of course, that's just me!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]