It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

This Girl is Bad-Ass!!

Post subject: This Girl is Bad-Ass!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am 

That's the title of the new action-comedy starring Jeeja Yanin of Chocolate and Raging Phoenix. Here's the international trailer, which is notably longer on the action than the comedy - one suspects, on the basis of Chai Lai Angels at least, that this is a wise move as Thai comedy does not seem to travel very well...

Post subject: Re: This Girl is Bad-Ass!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 pm 

Heh, I just came here to post about this! I was excited when I heard that Jija Yanin was returning.... And then I saw this trailer:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm 

First trailer: suspiciously short and clumsily edited (rapid cutting, little sync of action with music). Second trailer: Confusing, even with all the notes. Had to rewind many times. They could definitely have done without the zany sound effects that instruct you when you're obligated to laugh (or, rather, present an unpleasant sound as punishment if you didn't laugh so that you'll at least groan). Easy to see why they cut it way down for the international version, and this review confirms that the "longer on the action than the comedy" is misleading:

via Wise Kwai's review (rating: 2/5):
Quote:
Playing like an outtake reel of scenes from various Sahamongkol comedies, romances and action flicks, the problem with Jakkalan is a lack of focus. A bit of Bodyguard here and Chocolate there, with some Crazy Little Thing Called Love (and even Love of Siam) tossed in, it could've been decent, but it's instead a disaster.

An unwieldly, kitchen-sink blend of comedy, romance and action, Jakkalan is too loosely plotted, with unfunny jokes, fight scenes that have no resolution and a cast that's overstuffed with Mum's showbiz pals who were apparently allowed to run wild with whatever dumb gags they could come up with. By comparison, past directorial efforts by Mum, like his first Bodyguard movie, the soap-opera satire Wongkumlao or his country comedy Yam Yasothon were much more tightly scripted and way more entertaining.

But those movies were mainly for Thai audiences. And if Jakkalan is to be made a success internationally, it'll need to be significantly retooled, but then there isn't that much there to begin with. Folks overseas want to see Jeeja, but her scenes come too few and far in between the nonsense.

Will probably see it anyway; just not in any hurry. I remember Bodyguard being a pretty decent comedy; haven't seen Chai Lai Angels yet but will.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:01 am 

Fight scenes (720p) (Generic background music not synced to the action but pretty good scenes):

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]