It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Lady knights on the jousting field

Post subject: Lady knights on the jousting field
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:16 am 

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I had to share this! All of us have seen medieval jousting in movies, or read about it in books --scenes where armored knights gallop at each other with lances pointed as a contact sport. But did you know that the sport is continued today --and that women sometimes hold the lances? When I was recently in Australia, and attended the annual Medieval Festival near Brisbane, I had the privilege of watching a jousting tournament, in which the gallant women riders competed right along with (and against) their male counterparts, and took and gave their knocks with guts and aplomb. (In this competition, and in most modern jousting, competitors score points by the accuracy and force of their hits with the lance, and don't actually try to unhorse each other --but some competitions actually do feature the medieval scoring, where the most points are for knocking your opponent off the horse --and there are distaff knights who take part in those jousts, too.) For more information on these modern-day daughters of the knights of old, check out this Internet article: http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/05/30/meet-the-team-of-female-jousters-shaking-up-a-centuries-old-sport/ . Ride on, ladies; us guys are cheering for you!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]