It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series

Post subject: Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 am 

Many members of this group would definitely be interested in Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock urban fantasy series. Jane's a Cherokee shapeshifter who hunts rogue vampires, in an alternate U.S. where vampires are out of the closet. She packs a Benelli shotgun (it shoots silver), rides a Harley, knows her martial arts, and doesn't take garbage from anybody, human or vampire. I've read the first book, Skinwalker, and I can guarantee that Jane Yellowrock rocks!

Post subject: Re: Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:28 pm 

I like Jane Yellowrock all right. Some of Hunter's authorial choices lead to stories that are less compelling than they could be; on those occasions where she finds a character who brings the story to life and sizzles on the page, that character will die, leaving only the duller characters.

She also sacrifices character development to the needs of her plots, which is sort of backwards. There's a male vampire who develops a not-unfriendly truce with Jane by the end of book 1, but by the start of book 2 he's determined to kill her. Is it implied that some other event happened between the books? No, he wants to kill her for the events in book 1, which he was ok with in book 1... until the author needed a villainous vampire subplot.

And the romantic elements feel the same way: like the author decided this character should go with that character, rather than any sense of chemistry or bonding that takes place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I've picked up the first book, so we'll see how it goes. Backlogged with books right now, and I promised the wife I would finally read a Stephen King novel [it's weird, seen almost all the movies based on his books, but not read any of them!], but it's on the list... :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm 

Yaoquai, I haven't read Book 2, Blood Cross, yet. I'd say, though, that at the end of Book 1, Skinwalker, I didn't personally have the idea that Leo's "truce" with her was very friendly, or that he was okay with what she'd done. His parting words were, "You'll pay for this!" and I definitely had the impression that we hadn't seen the last of him. (As I recall, Hunter indicated that Jane had the same uneasy feeling.) Anyway, that's just my take on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 pm 

Werner Lind wrote:
Yaoquai, I haven't read Book 2, Blood Cross, yet. I'd say, though, that at the end of Book 1, Skinwalker, I didn't personally have the idea that Leo's "truce" with her was very friendly, or that he was okay with what she'd done. His parting words were, "You'll pay for this!" and I definitely had the impression that we hadn't seen the last of him. (As I recall, Hunter indicated that Jane had the same uneasy feeling.) Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Yeah, um, I don't want to say too much since I don't like giving spoilers, but I'm not sure I remembered the book numbers correctly. I've read the first five, and maybe I'll get around to the sixth sometime.

Also her other series (under this name), Mercy Blade. I find her so frustrating, Prof. Lind! Her books are always so close to wonderful. And the most facepalming part of it is that according to her blog, it's deliberate. She says things like I could have made this more emotionally engaging, but I'm writing for a genre audience. I'm a genre reader who enjoys going deeper sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 am 

Yaoquai, I'll keep your feedback in mind as I read more of this series, and the other one (I haven't read any of the Mercy Blade books at all). When I've read as many of the books as you have, I'll be more qualified to talk. (But I can say that, like you, I'm a genre fan who also appreciates emotional depth!)

BTW, I'm not actually a professor, just a lowly college librarian! (But I'm as absent-minded as some professors are pictured as being; does that count? :-) )

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]