It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Urban Fantasy heroines

Post subject: Urban Fantasy heroines
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 am 

It's a popular field these days. The Dresden Files is on its fifteenth book, and the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood) must be coming close. For those like me who can never get enough of the strong, deep action heroines, here's a few of my favorites:

4. Mercy Thompson, by Patricia Briggs. Mercy's a shapeshifter. She can change her form to a coyote, and she can talk to ghosts. All around her are werewolves, vampires and (yes) fairies, and she's considerably less powerful than most, which forces her to use cunning and resources to both win fights and establish boundaries within the (werewolf) pack.

3. Kitty Norville, by Carrie Vaughan. Kitty's a werewolf who hosts a radio call-in show in this hilarious, frequently profound series.

2. Kate Daniels, by Ilona Andrews. In a world where magic and technology function in alternating waves, where vampires are mindless brutes piloted by necromancers, Kate Daniels is the daughter of the immortal first necromancer.

1. Karrin Murphy, by Jim Butcher. Yes, she isn't the star of the show, but the Dresden Files' diminutive Officer Murphy is a tremendous character, with humor, goals, boundaries, and life. She's the only gun-wielder on this list, but she's also an aikidoka. Murphy is a fantastic example of how to portray a female secondary action hero right. She never needs to be rescued, she's not just there as arm candy, and she never becomes a prop. Strong, self-willed, amazing.

Has anyone else read these books? Or are there other urban fantasy series you'd want to comment on?

Post subject: Re: Urban Fantasy heroines
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:00 am 

Yaoquai, it's been awhile since you posted, and at that time I hadn't read much in the urban fantasy field. This past year, though, I've been dipping into it more, and really like what I've been reading! Having now read the first Dresden Files novel, Storm Front, and the first Kate Daniels novel, Magic Bites, I'd echo everything you said about Karrin Murphy and Kate. I was particularly impressed with the latter; she's no plaster saint, and tends to be an abrasive loner, but she honestly cares about others, has a real spirituality even though she doesn't wear it on her sleeve, and won't hesitate an instant to lay down her life if that's what it takes to save innocent people. (And she's sure one tough, formidable and resourceful fighter --her sword isn't named Slayer for nothing!) I've got the first Mercy Thompson book, Moon Called, in my massive to-read piles and hope to get to it soon, and I definitely also want to check out the Kitty Norville series sometime.

One urban fantasy action heroine who's not on your list, and whom I'd highly recommend getting acquainted with, is Faith Hunter's series protagonist, Jane Yellowrock (the series opener is Skinwalker). Jane's a vampire-hunting, full-blooded Cherokee shapeshifter, in an alternate New Orleans where vampires and witches (but not shapeshifters) are out of the closet. She rides a Harley, packs a silver-loaded shotgun and an assortment of other weapons she knows how to use, and is both a practicing Christian and open to the spiritual side of her Cherokee heritage.

I'm hoping to hear from more urban fantasy fans on this thread!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]